Thursday, November 03, 2005

Family


I jus came back from one of our occassional family gatherings at my aunt's place. For the benefit of those reading this, there are usually about 17 of us at such family gatherings. I have 5 aunts and my dad being the only guy in the set of six children that my grandparents have.

We usually have these gatherings during holidays such as National Day and Christmas. But since my studying-to-be-a-doctor cousin is back from the UK, we gather for a simple pot luck dinner. As I get older, I grow to appreciate these dinners. I guess not all families do this and there are some families out there who just can't stand being in the same room with one another. I see my family as a blessing as we are a family that is 'non-political'. You can feel the love and support amongst members in the family and there really isn't anyone who can't stand another :) It is not easy to achieve this but familly cohesiveness is something that my grandma always stress on and I thank her for instilling such a culture coz I have learnt to appreciate that and when I have my own family, I would want it to just be like that.

And who's to say that the TV is nothing but a distraction?! I remember a programme on CNA about family values and it was showcasing the family of the APAC director of Sun Microsystems - a local guy. His son and daughters who are in their teens still make it a point to go home for dinner and they spend quality time - bible study, games with their parents at home as well. I think that is admirable and definitely a feat for many parents nowadays just to ensure that their teenagers are even home. :) That programme left a mark on me and I tell myself that is the kind if family I want to have and by God's grace, I will :)

1 Comments:

Blogger vteo said...

Lucky you Beno... i have the (absolutely) worst family in the world...it gets me depressed *sob*

12:08 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home