Jazz...
Okay, okay, I have heard numerous complaints that I have not updated my blog for a while and viewership is on a steep decline. Before I sat down to blog, I had wanted to do one titled 'Change, the only constant thing' BUT, I tried to put on some music to get me in the mood. And wat else but my under-listened to jazz CDs. So many CDs, so little time. I have been dedicating my time to the likes of Jay Chou and James Bedlam. So, I decided to go back to my all time favourite - Jazz
Music for the soul. That's how I would describe jazz music. It stirs up a weird emotion within me. It puts me in this transcendental state, an out of body experience. Though the music may sometimes be slow and lazy or loud and noisy, it kinda makes me happy, puts a smile to my face. As some friends of mine who use to hang out with me at the now defunct Somerset's Bar at Westin Stamford (they played excellent live jazz with musicians such as Eldee Young) would know, I always enjoyed a jazz performance coz unlike commercial superstars, jazz artists always seemed to be so indulged in their music and it felt like they were enjoying their music, not so much like they were putting up a performance but rather sharing something they deeply love with the people seated around them.
Jazz is a lil like first love - the memories of it brings about a certain familiarity, the sweet innocence, the tingle when u first held hands, taking a stroll in the rain, the anticipation and joy of being around the one you love...? :)
Music for the soul. That's how I would describe jazz music. It stirs up a weird emotion within me. It puts me in this transcendental state, an out of body experience. Though the music may sometimes be slow and lazy or loud and noisy, it kinda makes me happy, puts a smile to my face. As some friends of mine who use to hang out with me at the now defunct Somerset's Bar at Westin Stamford (they played excellent live jazz with musicians such as Eldee Young) would know, I always enjoyed a jazz performance coz unlike commercial superstars, jazz artists always seemed to be so indulged in their music and it felt like they were enjoying their music, not so much like they were putting up a performance but rather sharing something they deeply love with the people seated around them.Jazz is a lil like first love - the memories of it brings about a certain familiarity, the sweet innocence, the tingle when u first held hands, taking a stroll in the rain, the anticipation and joy of being around the one you love...? :)



1 Comments:
Yo Ben,
Agree totally that "Jazz is a lil like love" ...
You can only bring out the trueness of Jazz by being totally indulged and immersed in the lovey..sweetness...drunken...translucent state.
* lend me some CDs yah..once i've gotten a player for my room k ?? hee ...hee..
cheers!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home